To celebrate the 2020 European Day of Languages, you are warmly invited to join us for an online conference from 10:00 until 12:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time). The event will be streamed live online in English and interpreted into French, German and Italian.
Please use Google Chrome for joining the conference.
Join the conference
‘Education begins with language’ is the title of a new European Commission report, which seeks to support the implementation of the Recommendation of the Council of the European Union (EU) on a comprehensive approach to the teaching and learning of languages. The report is based on research and a series of seminars produced by the Commission.
Together, at the 2020 European Day of Languages, we will discuss
- the role of language competences in the context of the European Education Area
- how to boost foreign language learning
- how to incorporate language diversity and support literacy in all languages in schools
Mariya Gabriel, European Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth, will launch the discussion.
The following guest speakers will contribute to the debate
- Isabelle Leguy – English language inspector, General Inspectorate of the French Ministry for Education, Sports and Research
- Gisella Langé – General inspector for languages and advisor for curriculum development, Italian Ministry of Education
- Christopher Textor – Director of the Department of General Education in the Ministry of Education, Hesse, Germany
- François Staring – Researcher, Ecorys consultancy, London/Brussels
- Michael Teutsch – Head of Unit ‘Schools and multilingualism’, European Commission
At 14:00 CEST, tune in again for the release of a new video celebrating 20 years of excellence in language teaching and learning projects awarded the European Language Label or co-funded through the Erasmus+ programme.